Follow Ups | Post Followup | Back to Discussion Board | VegSource

From: Bobk (
Subject: Re: Magefesa problems
Date: April 11, 2004 at 6:10 am PST

In Reply to: Re: Magefesa problems posted by Guy on April 10, 2004 at 9:13 pm:

Someone has posted on this discussion board that Magefesa has a very good customer service so you should call them. Their phone number, from their website, is 1-888-705-8700.

The website says that the cooker is 18/10 stainless steel with a triple layer bottom. I don't know if this is encapsulated or not but usually the inner layer is aluminum, so if Guy is right and you overheated the pot the the aluminum might flow and cause the bulge, but I would rather think that there is a manufacturing defect causing this.

Do you use an electric stove? If so, what the bulge would do is to tilt the cooker so that the points of contact on a flat surface would be the bulge and the point opposite the bulge so you would have most heating of the contents at the bulge and the point opposite. There would be less heating, indeed some convection cooling, at other points between. And depending on the nature of the bulge you might not get a lot of heating where the bulge is.

Some things you might do is put some water in the cooker and boil the water and see where the bubbles form. See if the bubbles form all over the surface of the bottom or mainly at the point opposite the bulge. The second thing is to put the cooker(unheated) on a flat surface, such as hopefully a kitchen counter and see if it will rock back and forth in a direction perpendicular to the line connecting the bulge. The motion probably would be very minor. Then move the cooker pot so that the bulge is off the counter and again see if it will rock back and forth. Look carefully, with a magnifying lens if you have one, where the layers are bonded on the bottom and see if you can see any separation between the layers. You might also take a sharp pointed knife and see if you can probe between the layers. You might also, when boiling water, move the cooker so that the bulge is off of the burner and see if bubbles form more uniformly on the bottom. I wouldn't do this for to long since you will get a lot of heating of the stove top where the bulge overhangs the burner. Of course this makes no sense to do if you have a gas burner.

Regardless of whether you do these two things look carefully for any discoloration that would indicate overheating before calling Magefesa because they will surely ask.

To me it sounds more like a manufacturing defect.

Personally when talking to Magefessa I would remember how this burning occasionally happened when relatively new, but I was so pleased with the cooker that I ignored it, but now it has gotten worse, i.e. more frequently.
When speaking with them I would also raise the issue of safety, I doubt that it is but you should raise the question.

Best of luck with resolution

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

E-mail: (optional)


Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: