Dear VegSource Reader,
You may know that John McDougall MD began his medical career as a plantation doctor for Dole Foods in Hawaii, almost 40 years ago.
There he saw generations of families who had immigrated mostly from Asia to work in the sugar fields. He noticed the older workers were in better health than each subsequent generation. Dr. McDougall discovered that it was the type of food they ate that accounted for the quality of each generation's health. You can watch Dr. McDougall describe this in a short excerpt from our award-winning documentary, Processed People -- link to short video of Dr. McDougall describing his plantation work.
Well Team VegSource (aka the Nelson family) is in Hawaii right now -- and were struck that Dr. McDougall's observations are as valid today as they were decades ago when he first made them.
Sabrina was admiring some paintings of a local artist, Neal Matsuyama. Asking how long he had lived in Hawaii, Mr. Matsuyama replied he was third generation. His grandfather had come from Japan to work on a plantation. His grandfather was 17 and his "picture bride" was 14 when they arrived.
Sabrina mentioned she had a friend who had worked as a plantation doctor and had observed that the older patients were healthier than the younger ones. Before she could elaborate, Mr. Matsuyama laughed and said his 87-year-old mother is stronger than he is, and observed that the older generations ate very simply, had gardens and ate what they grew, with an occasional chicken, pig or fish, but for the most part they ate fruits and vegetables. He said that his own generation was the "canned food generation," and that their health wasn't nearly as good for that reason.
So here was someone telling Sabrina -- nearly verbatim -- what Dr. McDougall has been talking about for almost 4 decades!
We bought several of Mr. Matsuyama's paintings, he's very gifted.
Hope you enjoy these photos of Team VegSource from today in Kauai!
To view more photos, FOLLOW VEGSOURCE ON FACEBOOK. https://www.facebook.com/vegsource
Jeff Novick's BURGERS & FRIES: Order today!
If you haven't ordered your Jeff Novick's FAST FOOD: BURGERS & FRIES DVD yet, do it now!
Here is what some people who pre-ordered the DVD and have watched are saying about Jeff's latest and greatest work:
- Jeff, I like your DVDs because you point out the basic ingredients and then it's very easy to be creative. While I was watching today I took a can of kidney beans and used some barley that I had cooked yesterday. I mixed in some oats, salsa and Mexican spice and in less than ten minutes I was eating a delicious burger!
- Hi Jeff, I made burgers tonight, the basic, no frills version so I could establish a baseline. Wonderful! The TEXTURE was very good...my efforts at burgers have been mushy, but these were very good! I may not have to experiment much beyond this one recipe! And it is so fun to see the girls...we really have a wonderful community.
- I love volume 1 and now I love volume 2. I made some burgers while I was watching. The key is how easy and fast the burgers are and they taste great!
- Got it yesterday. Watched it last night. Love it! Thank you.
- Such a cool video!!! Making burgers today.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE AND WATCH A VIDEO FROM JEFF DESCRIBING FAST FOOD BURGERS AND FRIES:
Mangos & papayas,
Jeff and Sabrina
|TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE VEGOURCE NEWSLETTER CLICK HERE
MORE STORIES AND
BLOG POSTS ON VEGSOURCE.COM